Sooner or later, most female bloggers and/or entrepreneurs find themselves navigating the treacherous waters of the digital world and world tech industry in order to advance their business aspirations. Many women enter the tech world by developing apps, creating an online membership, enhancing their website, or consulting in the technological field.
Upon entering the tech world, every female should know that she will find herself impacted by the devastating underrepresentation of women, and that she will be working predominantly with male developers or consultants who have had few opportunities to hear the viewpoints of their female counterparts. As she starts to navigate the online world of forums and posting ideas, she may quickly find that the spillover of a highly misogynistic gaming culture that exists here may lead to inappropriate and disrespectful responses. Such realities will inadvertently impact her experiences as she works within the online tech world.
Technology is an integral part of everyday life, and women should feel free to use and explore all types of technology, including the gaming world. Unfortunately, female gamers and those trying to utilize other technological realms are often subjected to an unfair and often harassing culture. Here are a few things to remember if you are a woman exploring or entering or the technological realm:
- No one has the right to harass, bully, or threaten you, online or in person.
- The use of technology can further a business if used appropriately.
- Women have a great deal to offer the technological world and should do so without fear.
- Technology is a form of empowerment when used and enjoyed without fear of harassment and/or bullying.
- Just as you do not want to be bullied online, you should be careful not to bully others in any way.
How can you see yourself using technology to better your personal, social or business life? We want to hear from you. Share your technology stories here.